Holiday imperfections/ and the Gift Game
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:28:06 -0600
RoseWind almost blew our holiday party. We still have a number of members
who live "on the other side"-- in Seattle--- and have quite a trek to get
here and back home. So we decided to not have our annual holiday party in
the evening after our monthly business meeting, but rather to compress
the meeting into a half day.

Mistake! We had a lot of fairly loaded issues to examine, and all felt
pretty stressed about pushing through things that seemed to want more
time. We were however managing. Till the last minute, when blood sugar
was low, the clock was ticking, and two members with strong opinions
erupted in an emotional clash that set off a very intense discussion that
just felt wrong to cut off, but we HAD to eat, and we didn't want to
continue the meeting after lunch when we had been counting on partying
from lunch onward. Yuck, and Oh Dear.

The conflicting parties and some others continued the debate well into
the lunch hour, in a side room. Ultimately, I tore myself away and got a
much-needed plate of food and, to tell the truth, went outside and sat
alone in my car to eat it and calm down!

When lunch was over, we gathered to decide how to proceed. Some felt they
just couldn't party until the process was talked about, and some
understanding reached about where things had suddenly gone "wrong", and
how we could avoid this happening again. Others were eager to forget and
party. We chose to have the process discussion in another room, while
others started to party, but waited a half an hour before the
gift-exchange game which we all wanted to participate in.

That worked. About half the group ( a dozen people or so) shared how they
had felt and what seemed to be the source of the upsets and what to do in
future. All agreed that the agenda overload relative to the time allotted
was a critical factor. By the end of the half hour, we were ready to move
on, and most people seemed to have a fun time at the party.

Just because you live in cohousing doesn't guarantee that you'll always
be one big happy family. A family, quite likely, but with some of the ups
and downs and less-than-picture-perfect moments that born families have.

Lynn at RoseWind, Port Townsend WA
PS- The gift-stealing game works fine with a group of twenty or so. If a
group seemed too big you could split into sub groups. The rules are easy.
Each brings a gift or White Elephant (a mixture of nice and funny items
is usual). The wrapped gifts are placed in the center of the floor.
Numbered slips of paper are made for the total number of people (number
of gifts) and everyone draws a number. Person number one opens a gift and
shows it to all. Number two can either "steal" any previously-opened
gift, or choose to open a new one. This goes on. If your gift is stolen,
you can then either steal an opened gift or open a new one. Sometimes
there's a rule about how many times a gift can be stolen before it is
"retired" and safe from further stealing (we let it get stolen three
times). We had a lot of good natured fun with this! Gifts ranged from
wool socks to chocolate, to a home-made wreath, and a box with toy
crickets that chirped when you opened the box!
It was interesting to see that the basic game of what-can-I-get? was
tempered with a lot of tacit cooperation to see that people who really
wanted something got to keep it, if it seemed to matter to them. This
quiet conspiracy ended up with almost everyone having something they
really enjoyed.