Re: paying $ for sweat equity
From: Denise Meier (dmmjncal.verio.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:54:01 -0600

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Lynn Nadeau wrote:

> If there is not a clear advantage in having insiders do the paid work on
> a project, a really clear advantage, like it would cost half as much, or
> avoid a long education process to bring someone up to speed, then my
> advice is to use non-community members, and steer clear of the pitfalls.
> You have to live together for a long time!

I would have to agree with this. If your group is REALLY good at
communicating about difficult stuff (and in our culture, money is about
the most difficult) and you all are committed to doing the hard work and
reaping the rewards of such open communication, go for it. If not, you may
end up with a "bonus" of spoken and unspoken hard feelings and resentments
that may or may not surface, but can hang on for a long time, clouding the
possibilities for strong and honest relationships between you. I don't
always advise avoiding things just because they're difficult, but you
might want to consider that option. Building cohousing is hard enough as
it is.

Denise Meier
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, Sonoma County