RE: paying $ for sweat equity
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousemail.msn.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:09:40 -0600

> > If there is not a clear advantage in having insiders do the
> paid work on
> > a project, a really clear advantage, like it would cost half as
> much, or
> > avoid a long education process to bring someone up to speed, then my
> > advice is to use non-community members, and steer clear of the
> pitfalls.
> > You have to live together for a long time!

At Sharingwood, the membership did about 70% of the construction work to
build our commonhouse. We all pitched in to help in varies ways with no
expectations put on any one person. It was was a great experience. In
particular I fondly remember the day we had 11 people on the roof laying the
roofing, 9 of which had never done any roofing before. We all became very
empowered that day, and it was one of many highlights of my life here.

Working together physically to create something together that you will use
is an important glue. We also built our playground ourselves. When you let
others do that stuff for you, I think you lose something important.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood