Re: Vertical cohousing in the city
From: S. Hamer (shamer_excite.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:44:14 -0600
I've only seen one cohousing community--mine. Cambridge Cohousing is an
urban site built on less than 2 acres of land in the middle of a city
residential neighborhood. I can't imagine cohousing made up of individual
homes, or just attached townhomes. We have 2 buildings of 6 flats each, and
one elevator building with 17 apartments. We are verticle only up 4 floors,
but it is urban, apartment style cohousing. We are close and cozy, only 1/2
a block separates the most distant units.

As someone who lives in a townhouse with a glass front door, I do think the
apt. dwellers are missing something by having all wood, solid doors. If
someone walks by I can run out to talk, or if they see me in my house, they
can come in. I have a full shade on the door, so when we want privacy, as I
do at night, we just pull it down.

Joani Blank wrote:

> Hi Jose,
>
> I've often imagined an urban cohousing community made in an urban
apartment

Sharon Hamer
Hopkinton Middle/High School LibraryMedia Center
88 Hayden Rowe St.
Hopkinton, Massachusetts 01748
508-497-9820  (Fax) 508-497-9829