RE: Vertical cohousing in the city
From: Morales Jose (moralesrorl.ucsf.edu)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:00:07 -0600
--====51514852504856525151===1

Folks,

Thanks for responding all, keep it going.

You know, I would prefer the typical type of co-housing since it seems
more "ideal" but I have to be ready for Plan B.

In terms of my fantasy for verticle cohousing, I found out that the city
was selling city-owned  buildings for cheap.  I imagined buying, lets say,
four buildings on one block... two facing one streeet and two facing the
other.  I thought perhaps we could create a common house on  the first
floor between all the buildings.

Jose Morales

Rad Onc  UCSF  / Envi Onc  NYU
morales [at] rorl.ucsf.edu

BoricuaNet NCPRR
jose [at] boricuanet.org

Joani Blank wrote:
>Hi Jose,
>
>I've often imagined an urban cohousing community made in an urban
apartment
>building, but there would be two absolute requirements in my opinion.
>
>One is that the common house be on the ground floor, perhaps made out of
>lobby space plus one or two units with one kitchen and all but bearing
>walls removed and rearranged to suit uses decided on by the group.  If,
by
>chance the building had a good sized lobby like some former hotels, that
>could be converted into the common house by the addition of a kitchen.
>The point is that residents should be discouraged from going directly to
>their apartments/condos without passing through the common space.  If
the
>elevator is right near the door, for example, you can put the mail boxes
>deeper into the building to draw people into the common house at least
once
>a day.  Or you can serve appetizers in the common house that folks can
grab
>(and socialize a bit) on their way home from work, or after-school
snacks
>in the common house for kids.
>
>The second thing would be to find a way, if possible of opening up the
>individual apartments onto the elevator lobby or corridor.
Unfortunately,
>fire regulations will usually not allow operable windows to open onto
>inside corridors, but non-operable ones  may be permitted with certain
>restrictions. Dutch doors to the units would also be an option. Or doors
>with glass in the top half or all the way. Of course the windows could
be
>covered sometimes for privacy, and the dutch door can be closed and
secured
> at will, but residents would also have the option of being partially or
>totally open (visually) to neighbors passing by. If none of this is
>possible, you can establish an ethic of people keeping their unit doors
>open when they are receptive to drop-ins from neighbors. Also, neighbors
>can post kid's art work or indoor type decor like indoor plants or wall
>decorations outside their units as well as inside.  And if there are
nooks
>and crannies or corners  in the corridors, there is an opportunity to
place
>a bookshelf with books to share, or a little table with a table lamp and
>couple of small chairs, or a small table fountain.
>
>Remember, you will know all the people who live there with you, so any
>fears about being intruded on by strangers should be quickly allayed.
>Common meals are indispensable in any cohousing community, in my
opinion,
>but are particularly so in a vertical urban community, partly because
the
>architecture is not (let's face it) ideal,  and partly because the group
is
>likely to be more scattered socially since there is so much other stuff
>going on right at your feet, or very close by outside the walls of your
>building.
>
>I'm interested to hear the response of others.
>
>Joani Blank
>Doyle Street Cohousing and Old Oakland Cohousing (California)
>
>RFC822 header
>-----------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 02:40:46 -0600
>Sender: cohousing-l [at] freedom.mtn.org
>From: Joani Blank <jeblank [at] ic.org>
>Subject: Vertical cohousing in the city

--====51514852504856525151===1

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=3 COLOR="#000000">Folks,<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for
responding all, keep it going. <BR>
<BR>
You
know, I would prefer the typical type of
co-housing since it seems more &quot;ideal&quot;
but I have to be ready for Plan B.<BR>
<BR>
In
terms of my fantasy for verticle cohousing,
I found out that the city was selling city-owned
 buildings for cheap.  I imagined buying,
lets say, four buildings on one block...
two facing one streeet and two facing the
other.  I thought perhaps we could create
a common house on  the first floor between
all the buildings.  </FONT><FONT FACE="Monaco" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
<BR>
Jose
Morales<BR>
<BR>
Rad Onc  UCSF  / Envi Onc
NYU<BR>
morales [at] rorl.ucsf.edu<BR>
<BR>
BoricuaNet
NCPRR<BR>
jose [at] boricuanet.org</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva"
SIZE=3 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
<BR>
Joani Blank wrote:</FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
&gt;Hi Jose,<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;I've
often imagined an urban cohousing community
made in an urban apartment<BR>
&gt;building,
but there would be two absolute requirements
in my opinion. <BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;One is that
the common house be on the ground floor,
perhaps made out of<BR>
&gt;lobby space plus
one or two units with one kitchen and all
but bearing<BR>
&gt;walls removed and rearranged
to suit uses decided on by the group.  If,
by<BR>
&gt;chance the building had a good
sized lobby like some former hotels, that<BR>
&gt;could
be converted into the common house by the
addition of a kitchen.<BR>
&gt;The point is
that residents should be discouraged from
going directly to<BR>
&gt;their apartments/condos
without passing through the common space.
 If the<BR>
&gt;elevator is right near the
door, for example, you can put the mail
boxes<BR>
&gt;deeper into the building to draw
people into the common house at least once<BR>
&gt;a
day.  Or you can serve appetizers in the
common house that folks can grab<BR>
&gt;(and
socialize a bit) on their way home from
work, or after-school snacks<BR>
&gt;in the
common house for kids. <BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;The
second thing would be to find a way, if
possible of opening up the<BR>
&gt;individual
apartments onto the elevator lobby or corridor.
 Unfortunately,<BR>
&gt;fire regulations will
usually not allow operable windows to open
onto<BR>
&gt;inside corridors, but non-operable
ones  may be permitted with certain<BR>
&gt;restrictions.
Dutch doors to the units would also be an
option. Or doors<BR>
&gt;with glass in the
top half or all the way. Of course the windows
could be<BR>
&gt;covered sometimes for privacy,
and the dutch door can be closed and secured<BR>
&gt;
at will, but residents would also have the
option of being partially or<BR>
&gt;totally
open (visually) to neighbors passing by.
If none of this is<BR>
&gt;possible, you can
establish an ethic of people keeping their
unit doors<BR>
&gt;open when they are receptive
to drop-ins from neighbors. Also, neighbors<BR>
&gt;can
post kid's art work or indoor type decor
like indoor plants or wall<BR>
&gt;decorations
outside their units as well as inside.
And if there are nooks<BR>
&gt;and crannies
or corners  in the corridors, there is an
opportunity to place<BR>
&gt;a bookshelf with
books to share, or a little table with a
table lamp and a<BR>
&gt;couple of small chairs,
or a small table fountain. <BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;Remember,
you will know all the people who live there
with you, so any<BR>
&gt;fears about being
intruded on by strangers should be quickly
allayed.<BR>
&gt;Common meals are indispensable
in any cohousing community, in my opinion,<BR>
&gt;but
are particularly so in a vertical urban
community, partly because the<BR>
&gt;architecture
is not (let's face it) ideal,  and partly
because the group is<BR>
&gt;likely to be
more scattered socially since there is so
much other stuff<BR>
&gt;going on right at
your feet, or very close by outside the
walls of your<BR>
&gt;building. <BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;I'm
interested to hear the response of others.
<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;Joani Blank<BR>
&gt;Doyle Street
Cohousing and Old Oakland Cohousing (California)<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;RFC822
header<BR>
&gt;-----------------------------------<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;Received:
from freedom.mtn.org (198.174.235.1) by
rorl.ucsf.EDU with<BR>
Mail Server 1.1.2); Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:52:15
-0800<BR>
&gt;Received: from freedom.mtn.org
(</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1
COLOR="#0000FF"><U>server@[127.0.0.0</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000">])<BR>
&gt;    by freedom.mtn.org
&gt;    Wed,
13 Jan 1999 02:40:46 -0600<BR>
&gt;Date: Wed,
13 Jan 1999 02:40:46 -0600<BR>
&gt;X-Real-To:
</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#0000FF"><U>morales [at]
rorl.ucsf.edu</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
&gt;Message-Id: &lt;</FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1
COLOR="#0000FF"><U>3.0.32.19990113004957.0068d620@209.3.225.32</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000">&gt;<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#0000FF"><U>owner-cohousing-l [at]
mtn.org</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
&gt;Reply-To: </FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#0000FF"><U>jeblank [at] ic.org</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
&gt;Originator: cohousing-l<BR>
&gt;Sender:
</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#0000FF"><U>cohousing-l [at]
freedom.mtn.org</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000"><BR>
&gt;Precedence: bulk<BR>
&gt;From:
Joani Blank &lt;</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#0000FF"><U>jeblank
[at] ic.org</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000">&gt;<BR>
&gt;To: Multiple
recipients of list &lt;</FONT><FONT FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1
COLOR="#0000FF"><U>cohousing-l [at] freedom.mtn.org</U></FONT><FONT
FACE="Geneva" SIZE=1 COLOR="#000000">&gt;<BR>
&gt;Subject: Vertical
cohousing in the city<BR>
&gt;X-Listprocessor-Version:
6.0 -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas<BR>
&gt;X-Comment:
 Developing cohousing - collaborative housing
communities<BR>
&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
--====51514852504856525151===1--