Re: removing members: only self-deselection
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:33:49 -0600
RoseWind Cohousing, a lot-development model, has no mechanism for
removal. I don't know how we could, or why we would. Most people would
like to know that their investment of their life savings etc in their
home means that it is theirs, and that no one can decide they don't want
them there.

Our legal documents give us ways to cope with a malicious or mentally
incompetent decision blocker, with our fallback voting system (which we
hope never to have to use), and with the association's legal rights to
put liens on property, for example, for money owed the association, or to
revoke certain privileges of commons use in the event of major problems.
Membership is intrinsic with the deed to the lot, and obligates the owner
in legal ways, with, as I said, legal recourse possible if they refuse.

The main thing that operates is self selection, and self deselection. If
a person gets no satisfaction from living in the community, there are
many other options available to most people, and they can move.

Lynn Nadeau