Re: unit selction
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:12:12 -0600
>Hi, We are getting close to making a unit selection. What have other groups
>done?  It sees almost impossible to come up a fair way of doing it.  The
>proposal we are using - I didn't realize the implications of - that all the
>upper end units could downsize & bump the households in the lower units out.
>What is the rality of most groups experience with unit selection.
> Kate N. Nichols, Bellingham cohousing

When my group was selecting their units, I was not yet a member, but they
had a seemingly fair way of doing it.  Each household had to commit to a
size of unit(we have 1,2,3 &4 bed units of standard sizes).  Then each
family would choose in the order in which they joined the community. In
this way, we were also able to tell prospective members if there was a
house available to suit their needs, and market specific sizes of units.
When we moved in, there was only one unit unsold in a depressed housing
market. This is not to say that people didn't change unit sizes, but a
change in size was dependent upon availability, and never bumped people
out of the size they had already chosen.

I don't think allowing people to switch house sizes is a workable plan.
There will always be people dropping out and coming into the group, and
changing unit sizes in addition to that will cause havoc.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing

  • unit selction NKaten947, January 19 1999
    • Re: unit selction Stevenson/Bitner, January 19 1999