Re: Unit selection
From: MartyR707 (MartyR707aol.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:09:17 -0600
In a message dated 1/19/99 8:26:22 PM, Kate wrote:

<<Hi, We are getting close to making a unit selection. What have other groups
done?  It sees almost impossible to come up a fair way of doing it.  The
proposal we are using - I didn't realize the implications of - that all the
upper end units could downsize & bump the households in the lower units out.
What is the rality of most groups experience with unit selection. >>

We used pure seniority, but we also designed our units with the current
members in mind.  In other words, we pretty ,much had a unit in mind for each
existing member when we set the site plan and unit mix.  Then when folks
dropped out, there were only certain unit sizes available.  We certainly do
not allow "bumping" once choices are made.  Families need to be able to plan
for what they will live in and can afford.  The only way to get a smaller unit
if you have chosen a larger one, is if the family that's chosen the smaller
one leaves and you are next in line in seniority to choose it.  (I hope that
makes sense)

We do have a few households that took maybe a larger unit than they would have
liked once the unit mix was set.  But those folks are pretty attached to them
now that they are being built, and I bet wouldn't switch if they could!!

Marty Roberts
Two Acre Wood, Sebastopol, CA
Where most of the houses are now framed, many have windows and even shingle
roofs!  The common house is looking gorgeous with a 12' ceiling in the
multipurpose room and a cozy fireplace in the lounge.  Can't wait!!!  Looks
like April might be the first move-ins.