another source for homes?
From: Roman Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:47:50 -0600
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing

I was reading my Saturday real estate section, and one of the builders,
quoted in an article about model homes, said that one of his developments
had several model homes built along a walkway, with no road. He went on to
say that he would sell them and install a road for the buyers in a few years
when the development sold out. It got me thinking, it would be cool to scope
out developers who are selling groups of model homes and make a deal for a
cohousing group to buy all of the homes, especially if they have no roads in
front of them. It would be a good deal for both sides; the developer doesn't
have to "improve" the lots any more, and the group gets homes that are
already decorated, and can use the savings to go toward the common house
construction-maybe a deal could be made with the original developer for the
construction of the common house. It's an idea whose kinks would need to be
worked out, but I think it could be done. The group would also have a few
years to build community and figure out financing and legal issues. Or an
already existing group could look for places being sold this way and buy the
houses, figuring out how to build the common house after the fact.