A gathering place
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:29:16 -0600
Robyn Williams, Pinakarri Community,
Fremantle, Western Australia   Unnat <Zen [at] iinet.net.au>

Hi everyone,

Throughout the 7 1/2 years of planning, designing, conflicting, evolving,
building, etc coming together to share meals has provided the social glue.
We've crammed into tiny flats, spread out in bigger bungalows, picnicked
by the river in summer and huddled around fire circles in winter.  I have
observed;

Relaxed social interaction, people sharing their stories, dreams and
disappointments Celebrations, songs Announcements of pregnancies,
couplings and uncouplings, life changes Undivided attention as the
children perform yet another spontaneous play or concert Light-hearted
comments made about spiky community or personal topics Deep and meaningful
conversations Tete-a-tetes to clear the air Shoulders being cried on
Impromptu meetings Howling good times

I can't imagine how we would have reached this point intact without them.
Very early on, the common house became a non-negotiable.  To this end,
because we are 2/3rds publicly funded rental housing, and in spite of
resistance from the funding administrators, we each forfeited $'s to be
spent on our individual homes towards the building of our common house.
I'm not into absolutes but a place(s)  to gather is pretty important.

Fondly