FW: Feedback Desired
From: Rion D'Luz (lanternsover.net)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:20:26 -0600

Hello All:
        I became introduced to cohousing a couple of years ago, but confess to
being remiss about following its progress online or in print.  I am a
farmer and farm advocate in Vermont who is interested in using the
cohousing model as a means of addressing two very important issues in this
State.  One is preservation of working landscape and the other is
transgeneration of farming.  Although I'm lead to understand that the
strict definition of cohousing would limit any member's ability to generate
revenue from the community - -

(Posted not long ago to this list
        From Katie McCamant with input from Chuck Durrett
"Inventors" of the word "cohousing"
  "6. The community is not a primary income source for residents: there is
no
shared community economy (ala Twin Oaks): If the community also provides
residents with their primary income, this is a significant change to the
dynamic between neighbors and defines another level of community beyond the
scope of cohousing."

-- I also realize that many cohousing developments don't follow the
definitions to the letter.

        I believe that creating a cohousing community on a large property that
includes a farm family could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.  The
community would have access to a large tract of land  with very low taxes.
 Land use would be subject to the bylaws of the Corporation and the farm
family would be stewards of the land.  I know that more than a few rural
cohousing communities maintain an integral relationship with the land, but
I think what I'm proposing is unique insofar as land use.
        My proposal can be found online at
http://www.sover.net/~lantern/frames/fof/cohouse/cohouse.html
        Or just go to http://www.sover.net/~lantern/
And follow the "Friends of the Farm" links to cohousing

I'd be more than happy to hear that the proposal is too naive to be
workable, or any other criticisms, insights, thoughts on the matter you
gentlefolk may care to offer.
Sincerely Yours,