Cohousing Getting Mainstream
From: psproefrock (psproefrockntsource.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:11:45 -0600
Hi, all--

  I came across an article in the February 1999 issue of AIArchitect
stating that the AIA is collecting resource information about
housing, including "new initiatives."  This article was accompanied
by two illustrations of cohousing communities (Ecovillage, at
Ithaca, and the Delray Beach community)

  The article cites other resources that may be interesting/useful to
cohousers, including "articles...'The New Politics of Urban Sprawl,'
by Timothy Egan, _New York Times_, and 'Reinventing the
Lakefront,' by Blair Kamin, _Chicago Tribune_, and books such as
the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's new
_Building Innovation for Home Ownership._"  The HUD book was
actually the source for the two cohousing illustrations.

  I take it as a positive sign to see that both HUD and the AIA are
presenting cohousing in such a light.

Philip Proefrock