CoHousing to Meet Needs of Disabled
From: RaynMom2 (RaynMom2aol.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:40:34 -0600
Hello,

I've been lurking on the list for a few weeks.  I'm the parent of a 20 year
old with autism.  I'm interested in forming a cohousing group for families
with disabled children & adult dependents, particularly those with autism.  I
believe that cohousing could provide a safe & secure permanent residence for
people with developmental disabilities where they would have the opportunity
to live like their non-disabled peers instead of in institutions and other
undesirable or hazardous environments.

Has anyone on the list had experience with this type of arrangement?  The type
of cohousing arrangement I have in mind would be for entire families, not just
the disabled family members.  Non-family members would also be welcome in the
community if they have a desire to live & work with people who have
disabilities.

What is the likelihood of supporting a venture of this type with private
funds?  Families of disabled children often have limited resources and must
pay for medical care & services out of their own pocket which are not covered
by insurance or government programs.  So, it's unlikely that families will
have the resources necessary to finance a project like this themselves.  What
about government funding, grants, etc.?  What are the likely drawbacks of
utilizing government funding (other than the obvious red-tape)?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience in this area?  Any info will be
appreciated - especially links to similar endeavors.

Thank you,

Carol
http://www.geocities.com/~raynmom/index.html