Re: Renters policy
From: Bitner/Stevenson (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:46:36 -0500
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sack-o-tomatos, CA
----------

> 1)  Do you have policies/requirements for renters as far as participation?

We don't have requirements. We felt it would be an undue imposition on the
owners who needed the income from renters to have to try to find only those
who were interested in participating. Most of the renters have been
participants anyway, and several of them have been very valuable members of
the community.

> 2)  How do you work community assessments?  If you have a prorated assessment
> system, does the owner's share go up if they have a renter?  Do the renters
> pay into a separate fund to help cover common expenses?

Since we are one of the very few communities to have subsidized houses for
low and middle income members, we decided to base HOA dues strictly on
square footage. No help there, I'm afraid. We had a very unusual situation
where the renters were actually off site, but participating, and I think we
charged them a small fee.

> 3)  Is there a rental agreement that roommates sign saying they agree to
> community rules, etc.?

Nope. The owners are trusted to screen people and deal with them if they are
a problem. After all, they have to live with them.

> 4)  Anything else you would like to share.

We try to have few rules about peoples' behavior. You can't legislate that
sort of thing anyway, and it takes too long to decide what the rules will
be. And nobody EVER wants to be the enforcer. Trust the people with whom
you've spent all this time building community.