Call For Cohousing Workshop Leader
From: Susan LaBarre (susalamindspring.com)
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 14:43:12 -0500
I'm Paul DeLapa, Program Coordinator for the Fellowship for Intentional
Community,
Art of Community Conference coming up soon, June 4-5, in Cedar Rapids,
Iowa. I've
been trying to line up a workshop leader on the topic of cohousing for many
months
now. At this moment we have no one. (Kathryn M. delivered a wonderful
session last
November at our conference in California.) I feel it would unfortunate not
to have
cohousing represented at this conference, especially since this event is being
cosponsored by MidAmerica Housing Partnership, who are very involved in
neighborhood
and community development.

I'm hoping you can put a call out to people you know who are involved and
familiar
with cohousing, and ask them to contact me if they are interested in
delivering a
short workshop (1 hr. 45 min.). Here's the description listed in our brochure:

----------
COHOUSING COMMUNITIES IN NORTH AMERICA
Cohousing communities cluster private dwellings around a common house with
shared
facilities, fostering relationships while maintaining independence.
Residents play
an active role in community decision-making and community design. This
workshop
offers an overview of cohousing, including its roots and development in North
America, and how some of them operate.
----------

The workshop could be taylored to the presenters experience and interest on
the
subject, so there's space to refine this workshop description.

We have 28 workshops lined up for the weekend on various topics relevant to
developing community (we're expecting about 400 participants). Here's a
list of
keynote speakers for the full group plenaries:

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:
Mayor Lee Clancey - 2nd term Mayor of Cedar Rapids.
Maureen Warren - Fannie Mae foundation, Vice President of Housing & Community
Development