Private vs Community Issues (Abuse, Alcoholism, etc.)
From: S. Fradenburgh & J. Taylor (safjstmindspring.com)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 11:26:06 -0600 (MDT)
At Lake Claire Cohousing in Atlanta we are starting to have discussions of
when serious issues, such as abuse or alcoholism, are private family
matters and when they are community issues, possibly calling for
intervention by the cohousing community.  Ideally, we'd like to have some
guidelines in place as to where to draw the line before we have an actual
situation to deal with.  Of course, we've dealt with the privacy vs
community question numerous times in the 2+ years since move-in, but it's
always been about less serious issues.

So we'd like to know whether any other cohousing communities have drawn up
guidelines, or had discussions about this issue, or had a real live
situation to deal with.  What was your process?  Did you reach consensus on
guidelines?  Would you be willing to share them?  Did they help or not in
facing a real situation?

Has there been previous discussion on the cohousing list?  I didn't find
anything in a quick search of the archives, but someone might be able to
point me to a specific time period.

Thanks,
Shari Fradenburgh

Shari Fradenburgh and Joe Taylor