Re: looking for built or nearly built cohousing elsewhere
From: Steve Habib Rose (habibthegarden.net)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 13:24:58 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Alex Aminoff wrote:

> Dear Cohousers,
>
> We would like to live in cohousing somewhere in the United States. Can
> you please help us narrow down the possibilities?
>
> We recently had to withdraw from membership after two years of
> hearbreaking labor on Cornerstone Village cohousing in Cambridge,
> MA. Several people on this list have suggested that the thing to do if
> you cannot make cohousing work where you are is to move to an area
> where cohousing is already successful.

Don't know if that's the only answer, but if you're interested in moving, I'll
provide some ideas below.

> We are looking for a 3-bedroom unit, preferably a townhouse or duplex
> rather than an apartment, in a cohousing community that is either up
> and running or pretty far along. We would prefer not to have to
> commute to our jobs by car.  We are very interested in some sort of
> shared childcare in the community (we don't have children yet but
> would like to soon). We prefer an area (but not necessarily a
> cohousing community) with a high density of technology people and
> technology jobs.
>
> Please suggest cohousing communities to us that might fit these
> criteria. We have looked through all the listings, but it is often
> hard to glean some of the details we are interested in from TCN's
> units available listings and groups' web sites.

If you can handle not seeing the sun for 11 months of the year, Seattle is the
place to be!

Please visit the Pacific Northwest Region of the Cohousing Network webpage at
http://www.thefoundry.org/cohousing/regionpnw/

The Ciel Community in West Seattle will be breaking ground this summer, and has
several openings.  If you are interested in literally walking to work in
downtown Seattle, you may want to consider Seattle Cohousing -- but they're not
gonna be breaking ground for approximately a year.

There are a number of established cohousing communities in the Seattle area.
Puget ridge (also in West Seattle) may have one opening.  Orca Landing has a
hand-built house for sale next door -- it's a bit pricey, but an ideal
investment for a communitarian (Orca Landing is a one house intentional
community in North Seattle).  The other cohousing communities in the area would
probably require driving to work or car-pooling, since they are located either
on the outskirts of town or on one of the islands in Puget Sound.

Please email me directly if you'd like more information -- or, better yet,
contact Marci at sodance [at] msn.com -- she's the expert on cohousing in this
region.

Yours,

Steve Habib Rose
Email: habib [at] thegarden.net
ICQ: 7649155

Host of The Garden
http://www.thegarden.net
Founder of the Co-neighborhoods Network
http://www.coneighborhoods.net
Board Member of the
Northwest Intentional Communities Association
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/nica/