re:Voluntary vs mandatory cooking teams
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepivax.epi.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:16:49 -0500
Pablo Halpern wrote:
<With our voluntary system, we are lucky to get one meal per month. This is
not because of an unwillingness to cook or clean up, however. It has to do
with inertia.

Our common house is only a few months old, although most of us have lived
here for more than three years. The result is that we have established a
cohousing life without meals and now it is hard for people to squeeze
cooking into their schedules. Several members have expressed it as the
problem of volunteering to cook "when I'm less busy," which, of course
never happens.

Has anybody else had a similar inertia problem? Have you found a
satisfactory solution?

I think we have the same problem.  Our kitchen remoldeling took too o o o  long
- and now attendance at meals is low, as well as volunteer cooks. Currently,
some guests are cooking twice a week, and I am hoping that this will carry over
when they leave - and also considering a discussion to get some ideas.  Hadn't
considered your idea.  We love the new kitchen, and the dishwasher is great and
fast.

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
        (usually checked on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday)
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments               in a rehab Georgian building
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
Two (3 BR +) townhomes  for sale - see our web page
a SMALLER HOME (1 BR) will be available this summer, as two households combine,
date still uncertain
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/