Re: Realtors / Marketing
From: Rowena Conkling (rowenacworldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:16:53 -0500

Bitner/Stevenson wrote: My point is that if you

> require a person to do more than come up with a mortgage, i.e., participate
> in the group or make membership payments, you can't put your homes up for
> sale with a realtor on the open market. Legally, that is discrimination.

In CambridgeCoho the oriiginal members were not buying real estate they were
buying shares in a development partnership, so that laws against discrimination
were irrelevant.   Subsequently, of course, sales will be subject to those
laws.  However, it is not generally true that you have absolutely no choice
about who to sell to.  You may not discriminate against "protected classes"
which may vary from state to state - in Massachusetts they include families with
children, but not middleclass, white people without children, for instance!

I notice that people on this list are always trying to get away without legal
advice.  I'll say it again.  The law is different in all states; don't accept
advice from another state on what is legal!