Consensus resource recommendation
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:20:37 -0500
At RoseWind Cohousing, we have been using consensus-seeking process for
10 years, though sometimes clumsily. Our resources included workshops
people had attended, such as those by Caroline Estes, personal
experiences with consensus process in peace or nuclear-protest
organizations or Quaker meetings or other ventures. The best book we had
found was "the blue book" Building United Judgement, and its companion
facilitation volume.

Lately we have been very pleased to find and use as our basic guide, the
handbook "On Conflict and Consensus" by C.T. Lawrence Butler and Amy
Rothstein. It is published by Food Not Bombs, 1-800-569-4054; website
www.consensus.net; email to fnbp [at] consensus.net

This small, 60-page, handbook differs from Building United Judgement in
that it outlines one basic "how-to" scenario. The writing is articulate,
the reasoning clear, and the process easy to follow. We have used the
basic flow chart --posted on the wall-- at our business meetings for the
past several months, and it is a very good fit with the sort of issues we
discuss, and has enough flexibility that it does not feel limiting.

One interesting aspect of the process as recommended by this book is the
treatment of Blocking. In short, the group must acknowledge the
legitimacy of the objection -- as being based on a generally recognized
principle, not personal preference, or it must be essential to the entire
group's well-being-- for it to be allowed to  block a decision being
made. This engendered a certain amount of discussion, as we also hold the
notion that "each person has a piece of the truth" and try to closely
examine objections as sources of new understanding of a situation. It
seems at least a tiny bit risky to let the majority of the group decide
on the legitimacy of a dissent. But we are trying it, and so far, so
good. Usually, there are no potentially blocking objections, once all the
discussion and synthesis has happened.

The rest of the process seems simply to be a coherent outline of common
sense orderly sorting of an issue. Which often gets lost in heated
discussion.

I believe the book is also viewable on line, presumably at the above
Internet addresses.

If anyone else's group is using this book as a basic tool, I'd be
interested to hear how it works for others. Or if folks have found
something even better.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend WA (we have 20 families, and only 3 more lots to sell: each
5000 sq ft, build what you choose)