Bellingham cohousing
From: NKaten947 (NKaten947aol.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:53:44 -0500
Bellingham Cohousing has broken ground! We still have two, three and four
bedroom homes available. You can live in a house along a common walkway with
views of the Chuckanut Mountains or a home on the south of our property
beside wetlands bordered by Connelly Creek which meanders along the back.

Our common facilities include a 4100 square foot common house with a dining
room, a sitting room with a fireplace, a craft studio, common storage space,
two kid's rooms, an office and guest room. The common house charms most
visitors because it is the original 1890 Victorian farmhouse. We?ve added a
deck facing the southern wetlands and a
covered porch for a children?s play area. Our common space design also
includes a separate 840 square foot workshop and a space for teenagers right
above it.

McCamant & Durrett designed our community with an emphasis on facilitating
interaction, energy efficiency and sustainability.  We have partnered with
Wonderland Hill Development Company and Cohousing Resources to build our
village neighborhood. The houses range in price from a 780 square foot flat
for $105,000 to a 1650 square foot duplex for $220,000. Families will move
into their homes during December 1999 in the first stage and the second
phase will be finished by March 2000.

Bellingham is right on Bellingham Bay in the Puget Sound, and about an hour
west of North Cascades National Park. Seattle is 90 miles to the south and
Vancouver, BC is about an hour to the north. The San Juan Islands are easily
accessed by ferry from nearby Anacortes.