Re: retrofits?
From: Bitner/Stevenson (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:31:55 -0500
Don't do it if:

There is not enough space to turn into common areas you really want.

The buildings need so much work it would be cheaper to start from
scratch(not likely with cohousing!) Have it inspected VERY carefully.

Reasons to do it:

It's already built-think of the headaches and time saved!

It will fit in with the surrounding community-no nimby difficulties.

If the houses are habitable, those with less means could stay with the group
and renovate as they can afford it, rather than having to drop out when they
can't afford to stay.

Grown-up landscaping.(Ask me about digging holes for trees in 110 degree
heat-actually, better not. It's a bad memory).

Older houses are homier.

Your children will grow up in cohousing, not at cohousing meetings!!!!!

I say, if it checks out, go for it!
--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing