Kids are great, but not essential to closeness
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:54:58 -0500
> I could not measure it, but am sure that the absence of kids greatly reduced
the
>opportunities and motivation for adults to get together, and therefore, to
>develop closer relationships. -- Graham Meltzer

Based on the experience of our community, I would find this questionable.
We have only 4 resident children among the 15 resident households here,
and the adults have had lots of opportunities and motivation to get
together. The community gardens are a case in point, as well as the work
of the various committees, and the upcoming common-house construction,
which will use a lot of volunteer work. Community potlucks, assisting a
member in need, building a pump house for our well, as well as common
interests in the outside community of our small town-- all give us a lot
to do together, and share our thoughts and experiences about.

The children are busy with the many children in the neighborhood and
town, and the abundance of things to do for kids in the area. They aren't
reliant on the cohousing crowd for their activities. And the cohousing
members are cordially supportive of the kids: they go see them perform,
donate to their fund-raisers, wish them happy birthday, and so forth. The
kids know the adults are a resource. We look forward to when we will have
more young children around,  for the diversity, but it hasn't hampered us
from developing good friendships

Perhaps we even have more time and energy to be with each other, having
less of it going to the very energy-consuming business of parenting!

(I was also surprised at the $28,000-$48,000 per dwelling "soft costs".
Our group had no developer profit, no sales promotion costs except a few
newspaper ads, minimal legal costs to verify our documents and arrange
our deeds, minimal engineering to get our drainage plans and such
"stamped", a one-day workshop with a landscape architect, some surveying,
and about $6000 worth of professional design input on our common house.
Our buy-in cost of $28-38,000 covered that, plus the land purchase, the
infrastructure installation, and the common house budget. It's a
trade-off of time vs money. )