Re: security in cohousing
From: Bitner/Stevenson (lilbertearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:50:12 -0600 (MDT)
I'm sorry, but that seems like quite a bit of overkill to me. There is a
huge difference between how much crime there is in urban areas and how much
people perceive there to be. This is evidenced by the fact that every time
there is a crime in a rural or suburban area, you have people who are saying
things like,"We used to leave our doors unlocked at night-now we don't feel
safe anymore!"I've got news for them, and for people who think that you can
be safe, if only you have enough "security systems". Life is a very
dangerous business, and we are all inches away from death at any time; we
just choose not to be aware of it. There is no such thing as safe.

What you can do is make your space less of a target for crime, by doing the
things we already discussed here. The idea is not to keep people out of your
house who have already decided to break in, but to make them think that
breaking in would be a bad idea. Community is one way to do that.

I'm not saying you don't need common sense things like lights, etc. But I
think complicated alarm sysrems are more often an annoyance than a help.
When was the last time you saw a car alarm do anything but piss people off?
An alarm that wakes the neighbors is not going to promote good relations
when your teenager sneaks in the bedroom window.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing