Re: cohousing car costs
From: Deb Smyre (dsmyreprimenet.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:49:21 -0600 (MDT)
At 11:24 AM 8/1/1999 -0500, Bitner/Stevenson wrote:
>Insurance rates are definitely higher in cities, but what of it? As a good
>driver, mine is only a few hundred dollars a year. I spend far more on
>repairs. The question really is, is it more expensive to own a car in the
>city, and I think the answer has to be "no". Especially when you consider
>the cost of commuting from a suburb(I can walk to work) and the need for two
>cars if you have two jobs in a family.

        Car costs may not be so very far off topic.
        I recall reading an article on "car sharing" in Time
        magazine a couple of months ago.  The article
        explained how 60 commuters used only 12 cars
        in a car sharing arrangement to reduce transportation
        costs.  There are several websites with info detailing
        how the idea works.  A good one to start with is:
        "AutoShare" at www.autoshare.com

        Deb Smyre
        Fridley, Minnesota
        Owner of the last house being built at