Re: Saving for future repairs and projects
From: Robyn Williams (zeniinet.net.au)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 19:18:10 -0600 (MDT)
Providing for short term and long term maintenance makes good sense.  I'm sure
you can find local building maintenance consultants who can advise you.  As a
mostly rental co-ho it is a mandatory part of our management plan.

Pinakarri is a member of an association of co-op housing groups in this state.
Recently we launched the Co-op Maintenance Trust as an optional vehicle for
saving for long term maintenance.  The benefits are better rates of return than
most individual groups were obtaining due to research and prudent advice; a
commitment to seek out ethical investments; the opportunity to lend at a fair
rate for all to groups with compatible objectives ( the trust has been
approached by a Montessori School and a member co-op for short term loans at far
better rates than possible through banks etc ).  The trustees are co-op dwellers
recommended by member co-ops.  A small management fee helps to support the co-op
collective which is an non-profit grassroots organisation.  Lots of win/win/win

Warmest regards
Robyn Williams
Resident of Pinakarri Community since 11th June 1999!
Fremantle, Western Australia