Community computer network [ was: Re: free website space?
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 07:38:34 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Willie Schreurs wrote:

> Cheryl Charis-Graves wrote:

> > Also, since I will be setting this up, do you all have opinions about
> > the usefulness of a website to an already-established community? Do some

> I find the Greyrock Commons website quite useful on occasion; the

Hi Willie,

Thanks for the summary of Greyrock's use of it's network.  Interesting.
I'm curious if you have tried much with real-time communication.
Particularly where a significant number of folks sort of "monitor a
channel" most of the time.  I'd love to have the capability (for example)
of asking anyone who is around if they would like to get together in a few
minutes for a social break.

Amateur radio "two meter repeaters" (voice) have long given this
capability but cohousing communities are unlikely to have many "hams".

Separate question:  Have you had any security problems with your LAN?

Fred

Cohousing-L  See http://www.cohousing.org and Nbhd-tc --  Twin
Cities Neighborhood issues list.  See http://freenet.msp.mn.us