Re: equity caps: cohousing context as asset or liability
From: Hans Tilstra (hanstilstrarabbit.com.au)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:44:47 -0600 (MDT)
thought provoking discussion!

I am endeavouring to sell the whole concept of cohousing, in the
hypothetical possibility that the cohousing context adds value to the house
itself.

So, -by design-, can the cohousing context become a financial asset or does
it end up a liability in relation to the value of the units?

McCamant and Durrett contrasted communities organised around ideological
beliefs with the plain desire for a more practial and social home
environment. So, do I speak & act for myself or do I have a hidden sense of
doing this for someone else? Having worked in human services for the last
ten years, I'm increasingly wary of caring motives, compared to a frankness
about the market realities. Other story.

I imagine that keeping up with the market adds to a sense of security and
choice. Yes, I would try to screen out speculators in the beginning, so as
to avoid freeriding. Yet, when the cohousing project is established, I'd
want the market to decide the value of the units.

Mind you, in Western Australia the state government has been actively
involved in supporting the establishment of cohousing projects. My first
impression of one of the projects visited was, that the participants
accommodated the cohousing idea in the developing stages and gradually
ignored the common house once they had their unit. Beatiful shared native
garden, very low rent but little "co".

I like the Danishness of cohousing. I like idea that cohousing is more
likely to attract well educated people who presumably like other people. I
like the freedom that people will be able to smoke cigars, vote for gun
ownership, whatever. In their own units.

Hans Tilstra
www.vicnet.net.au/~cohouse/