Relationship expectations scale
From: Hans Tilstra (hanstilstrarabbit.com.au)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:22:17 -0600 (MDT)
Rob's relationships expectations scale got me thinking too. As a new arrival
to Australia I'm left guessing as to the prevailing attitudes to cohousing.
What if it's mainly my NW'ern European upbringing that skewes makes my
perception of the whole cohousing idea? What if I'm a rare 6 surrounded by
1's?

Anyway, Rob's point struck a chord. Here's a variation I'd like to build on
for my website ...

1. I prefer to be very private and really don't want anything to do with my
neighbours

2. I don't give my relationship with my neighbourhood any thought and
wouldn't go out of my way to meet or develop relationships

3. I've had great neighbours and not such great neighbours. I guess I'd like
great neighbours like anyone. It's a matter of chance really.

4. I want a better relationship with my neighbours than a typical
neighbourhood.

5. I want to belong to this group of neighbours, with friendships & support.

6. I like the idea of deliberately designing a community with opportunities
to meet. I have and will continue to actively contribute to the development
of a supportive environment.

7. I'd like to share political values or develop a therapeutic environment
etc.

Hans Tilstra, forming Cohousing Melbourne