Re: retrofit cohousing vs co-nbhd [ was: Re: mythological cohousing..
From: Sanda Everette (severettesmcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:53:49 -0600 (MDT)
So Fred,
In rereading your definition, I am trying to decide whether I am
correctly using the term describing my project.  I did adapt the term
after reading about N St. Cohousing.  In your definition, you mention
"retrofiting the social relations between people who live in close
proximity in existing housing. "  I see us doing that except I question
whether you mean with the people already living in that existing housing
or with people you attract to the existing housing who want to change
their social relations to be more like cohousing.  In our case, people
have been asked to leave...or moved on their own when they saw what was
happening...to create space for people who want to live in community.

By the way, I just got back from two weeks+ weeks in Europe.  Among
other things, revisted the community in Italy called Damanhur.  Of
course they are a spiritual intentional community, not cohousing...if
anyone was curious I will do a separate email.

And the owner of our second building is again saying next month, he will
sell.  This time, it just may happen....looking for potential co-owners
and renters interested in what we are doing.

Sanda and Brian Everette
http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda

San Mateo Cooperative Community
http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda/smcc.htm
Toward a sustainable lifestyle:
grow some of your own food and/or know the gardener who is growing it.