Re: Clotheslines & Hanging Out Clothes
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:27:37 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 8/21/99 5:34:09 PM  lilbert [at] earthlink.net writes:

<< Theory of Relativity:"The more trivial the issue relative
 to your daily life, the more you will need to discuss it, and the less
 likely you are to come to consensus", otherwise known as the "Law of
 Clotheslines". >>

As usual, Liz offers priceless words of wisdom.  At Tierra Nueva we now have
FOUR clotheslines in four different quadrants on the site.  In the beginning
when the first families moved in during construction  we strung ropes from
tree to tree in our orchard.  We were unable to use our common house laundry
room so we shared washers and hung makeshift lines in the south orchard.
Later, I put up lines with sunken posts on the western boundry where our home
is.

When other households moved in and the common house opened for use, and the
issue of clotheslines became hotly contested at business meetings (see Liz's
Law of Clotheslines above) we went through the rigors of endless discussions
about the unsightliness of laundry, the nimby/nimfy arguments and the general
discomfort that most folks felt about the prospect of seeing other people's
stuff hanging on a line.  It baffled me, all this huff and puff.  But I am a
hanger of clothes (like Sharon) since my childhood (and the tactile memory of
walking the length of the interior of a damp sheet tent will never leave me).
 So I listened patiently to the concerns of my neighbors, and was relieved
when the issue of sinking the new clothesline (spiderweb variety) near the
laundry room was given a thumbs up, with a proviso of revisiting it in six
months.  By the way, we got one that doesn't require a concrete base.  Easy
installation, and the pole can be moved anytime.  Forty two bucks at the
local hardware store.

Well, six months has come and gone and no one has complained.  In fact it is
becoming familiar to to see clothes filling the lines, and more folks are
becoming acquainted with the heavenly aroma of line-dried bedsheets.

Recently a fourth clothesline for the north ridge was proposed and passed
with the six month proviso.  What seems to be happening is that we are slowly
becoming less dependent on our gas dryers and more proficient at the fine art
of solar drying.  It is gratifying to me to see this conversion to this
simple low-tech solution.  There are households who will never take the time
to line dry their clothes, but that's okay too.  All that matters to me is
that for those of us who do, we are finding a deepening acceptance in the
community.  This pleases me.

My advice about clotheslines.  Don't be afraid of them.  They add a charming
homespun quality to your community.  They become a gathering place for casual
conversation. And after a short while nobody will care anymore about seeing
everyone's underwear.

coheartedly,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva, central CA coast