Old Oakland Cohousing in the News
From: Raines Cohen (coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 06:57:44 -0600 (MDT)
In light of the recent discussion on community, I thought I'd share this
cover story on Old Oakland Cohousing at Swan's Market from the recent
(Volume 1, No. 12 (8/18-31)) issue of "Urban View", a community bi-weekly
newspaper serving Oakland, California. The reporter looked at some issues
covering more than just the Cohousing part of the project, mixed up a few
things but got the sentiment largely right, however.

cover story: Housing Relief; Swan's Brings Cohousing and Mixed Use to a
Neighborhood Near You.
cover photo: Joani Blank in front of Swans Market sign [occupies whole
page!]

[no, they don't have it (or anything yet, really) on their website at
www.urbanview.com ]

Highlights:

- Letter from Editor & Publisher:

"There are some words that can turn just about anyone into a cynic. The
term 'community' has been tossed about to the point where it is rapidly
approaching meaninglessness. However, to restore our faith in the
concept, we set out to find some tangible examples of 'community' taking
place in Oakland.
"There are two major categories of community. First, community that is
based on deliberate structural and geographic planning. And we've got it
right here in Old Oakland. ... the Swan's cohousing project, which will
combine services, housing, retail and art. In other words, the elements
that make a neighborhood cohesive and functional.
[a 2d article looks at the East Bay Pride/Stonewall 30 celebration]
"Combined, these two separate projects are helping to mend the broken
idea of community -- and may even save it from trivialization."

The article:
Housing Relief: Coming Soon to a Neighborhood Near You
Swan's Market: A Neighborhood
by Paris Morgan

Lead: "The current development of Swan's Marketplace that began in May of
1998 is due to finish, in parts, from November of this year into next
summer.
"In this, it's latest incarnation, Swan's takes on the elegance of its
name and becomes, adt once, many different things to many different
people. A historically preserved central-city complex of restaurants,
shops and housing, Swan's is designed to honor the city's past while
propelling it, bravely, into the future. Specifically, Swan's will house
the Historic Old Oakland Housewives Market and the Museum of Children's
Art (MOChA), three new restaurants, a deli and a bakery. It will offer
affordable housing in the form of 18 one- and two-bedroom apartments and
four apartments for families living with AIDS.

"It will also be home to a cohousing project, consisting of 20
fully-equipped conodminiums and a common house, in which the buyers have
invested in the building's development in exchange for involvement in
design and amenities. Swan's provides a case study in cohousing
courtship, as well as a philosophical petri dish for a word that is
circumscribed to the point of near-irrelevance: "community."

"In its first life, the buidling, located on the block of 9th, 10th,
Washington and Clay Streets was home ot the 10th Street Market and the
Oakland Free Market. It was originally built under the 1917
proprietorship of Jacob Pantosky, who, at various points in his career,
called himself a "poultry merchant, broker, speculator, junk dealer, shoe
merchant and hotel manager."
[...]
"The concept of cohousing... has scrambled this last notion of neighbors
into a "which came  came first, the chicken or the egg?" conundrum. The
idea behind cohousing is not that the neighbors are defined by the
neighborhood, but that the neighborhood is defined by --and for-- the
neighbors.
"'Cohousing,' according to Joani Blank, an owner [whoops! technically a
little bit ahead of herself; we're investors and members and have units
reserved but won't be able to complete our unit purchases 'til December]
of one of the Swan's condos, "is a form of collaborative housing which
tries to maximize a sense of community between the households who live
there, but provides plenty of privacy at the same time." Typically
cohousing groups share several meals a week in their common space, such
as a dining room or garden, and take turns cooking meals and caring for
their property--and their neighbors.

"There are roughly 41 such colonies in the United States and 4 in Canada.
They are found, in more concentrated numbers, in Raleigh-Durham, North
Carolina, in Seattle, Washingtgton, in the Boulder-Denver area of
Colorado, in Massachusetts, and in Northern California. In Oakland, there
are two others: Temescal Cohousing and Temescal Creek (soon to be
renamed).

[... description of Swan's physical setup....] "in all, 3,600 square feet
of community space.
"Roy Schweyer, Director of Housing and Community Development for the
City, explains the focus on common space: "So that there's an expecation
that it will be a community that will share more than just the entrance
to the building -- but a common space, and will build a community
effort." [it sounds like he's talking about the shared courtyard with the
affordable housing, retail, etc., not the common house within cohousing]

[history: Joshua Simon, the project manager for the East Bay Asian Local
Development Coalition, our nonprofit developer, studied architecture at
Berkeley with Katherine McCamant of the Cohousing Company! I didn't know
that]

[skipping several interesting paragraphs of OOCOHO history and early
group process, recruiting techniques]

"Mary Marx, Executive Director at MOChA, says, "We are very excited to
work with the cohousing people and we've already had discussions with
them about sharing technology resources. We have looked at something like
creating a co-op kiln and a co-op laundry facility and other things that
we wouldn't be able to put into our won space, so that there might be a
space..." that is shared. [we've talked about a shared internet (DSL or
similar) connection but the other stuff is news to me]

"It remains to be seen if this spirit will appeal to the affordable
housing tenants and the families with AIDS. [history of mailbox problem
omitted... we tried to have lots of design features, like co-located
mailboxes, to increase our interaction with the affordable-housing rental
residents, but it turned out not to be possible... high construction
costs and the complexity of the project precluded some other options]

"The cohousing rewsidents at Swan's were drawn to downtown Oakland
because they wanted a socio-economically and culturally diverse urban
setting. So, while it really depents on what interaction the other
tentants of Swan's want to have with them, they are certainly open to
excahgne. Their [actually, Joani's] bumper sticker says they are willing
to take a philosophical stake in more than just one city block:
"Cohousing: Building a Better Society One Neighborhood at a Time."

Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com>
Member, Old Oakland [CA] Cohousing at Swan's Market [& East Bay Coho]
Where we just got to visit our units-to-be: cement slab is poured, lead
paint is abated, rough plumbing is in, walls are being framed out!