Re: Arguments & Arguers
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:35:08 -0600 (MDT)
Knowing that it doesn't do much good to try to be rational when someone
is already upset, I let others know ahead of time where I stand:

"I grew up in a home where no one ever raised their voice (even when
maybe they should have). If a voice was even a little raised, it
signified that things were dangerously close to some unspeakable danger,
out of control, VERY serious. As a result, when people raise their voices
and exaggerate or get dramatically angry, my Inner Child goes into panic.
It distresses me a lot. If you yell at each other-- or worse yet, at me--
I can't stop you, but I want you to know ahead of time how it makes me
feel."

We haven't had anyone who is really a loose cannon with anger, but we
have had people (who all happen to be men) who get dramatic and
exaggerate in debate and argument for the sake of making their point.
Between them, they don't seem to mind it-- it's just another "mode". But
they've done it less around me, once I explained that I was oversensitive
to it.

Lynn at RoseWind
where our Common House is breaking ground this month!