Re: public displays of anger
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (stuartSiliconDefense.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:25:54 -0600 (MDT)
You misunderstand what I was saying in the post you respond to.  I was saying
yelling as an expression of anger is destructive.  I don't believe groups
should foster a culture in which this is considered normal or acceptable.  I
believe that people who are prone to yell should work on finding ways to
express their anger that is more likely to get them what they want.

However, I was *not* saying that telling a person who is yelling "Your
behaviour is inappropriate" is a good strategy for handling the situation
(see my long post from last night).  It's better than "You are emotionally
dysfunctional", but not nearly as useful as approaching the person with love
and understanding.

And I agree with you that conflict is always an opportunity for learning and
growth if people are able to see it that way.  Ignoring it is not ideal at
all.

Stuart.