Re: Clotheslines
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:04:55 -0600 (MDT)
Still on the light side:  I believe in clotheslines but not in irons--talk
about an energy wasting consumer good! My solution: Don't own any clothes
that need ironing. Or wear 'em wrinkled.

On the more serious side:
1. I think that when one's cohousing community is on a very urban site with
hardly any outdoor green-space, the issue of a clothesline that is right in
everyone's face is different from the issue if there is a little more elbow
room. Although our clothesline-among- the-downtown-skyscrapers  at Old
Oakland Cohousing) is going to look a little odd to my way of thinking,
most of our group is very committed to having it--just under the edge of
the terrace.  I expect we will get more flack for it  from the commercial
tenants (with whom we share a courtyard, from which one will be able to see
it through our garden ), than from other cohousers.

2.  In one community I visited, there were very strict rules of the city or
county governing where a clothesline could be located so that it could not
be seen by other residents, or so it could not be seen from the road or
from adjoining properties.  It would be a good idea to check with your
local planning department---if your architect doesn't already know), as
part of your "planning ahead." It would be too bad if you are looking
forward to enjoying the sheets blowing in the wind, and the city requires
you to build an 8 foot high fence around your clothesline.

Joani Blank
Doyle St. CoHousing and Old Oakland Cohousing  (new projected move-in date,
Dec. 15--getting dangerously close to the end of the millennium)
  • Re: clotheslines Mac & Sandy Thomson, August 22 1999
    • clotheslines barbara keppel, August 25 1999
    • Re: Clotheslines Joani Blank, August 30 1999