hearing assistance at cohousing conference
From: barbara keppel (71612.340compuserve.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:26:38 -0600 (MDT)
Out of curiosity, I wonder if there are other hearing impaired
folks who plan to attend the North American Cohousing Conference
in Oct. and need some kind of assistance? Are there others like
me who need to have speakers use a mike? Who can't participate in
conversations if there is a lot of background noise? Any of the
rest of you have tinnitus? Have any of you requested hearing
assistance?

FYI, Massachusetts leads the nation in provision of a new kind of
hearing assistance. A group of court reporters has been specially
trained to work with the hard of hearing and deaf. In June, I
attended a conference at which every speaker and every comment
and question from the floor was recorded verbatim by a team of
these reporters using regular court stenographic machines
attached to lap top computers. One of them sat next to me at all
times so I could read the dialogue on her laptop screen. It was
just amazing. I actually knew what the other panelists had said
as soon as they said it.

This was an innovative conference for other reasons so it was
important for a transcript of the conference to be made
available. For me, it was technology in the public interest.

BobBI Keppel
Portland, Maine