Re: Consequences of behavior: Arguments and Arguing
From: Diane Margolis (dianermmediaone.net)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 07:01:29 -0600 (MDT)
I want to add my two cents to to this very interesting discussion.

Once I heard a psychiatrist say: "Some of the things we do to each other make
some of us sick."  I thought that was very wise.  It shifted the focus from the
sick person to the social environment.  To paraphrase that in the present
context, we might say: "Some of the things we do to each other make some of us
yell."  I think that some of the time the person who yells is just trying to be
heard, really heard.  She or he is looking for a response that directly
addresses the issue the yelling is about.  Of course there is a difference
between acute yelling and chronic yelling.  The dog owner, in Rob's example, was
a chronic yeller.  But it says something about the community that no one was
able to talk to him until, threatened by expulsion, he called Rob, an outsider,
to intervene.  Overcoming fear of intensity is at least as difficult as toning
down the intensity. Another paraphrase: "Some of the things we do to each other
silences some of us."  For a community, silence may be more distructive than
noise.

Diane Margolis,
Cambridge CoHousing