|Re: Cohousing and car sharing||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: Raines Cohen (coho-Lraines.com)|
|Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:16:30 -0600 (MDT)|
"Rob Sandelin" <floriferous [at] email.msn.com> wrote on 9/21/99 3:24 PM: >I doubt cohousing will ever evolve much in the way of car ownership sharing. I wouldn't be too sure about that... cars in an urban setting such as ours [downtown Oakland, CA] are more of a liability than an asset, with only one space per unit in our secure garage, onstreet parking metered and limited, and a nearby (uncovered, insecure) lot costing nearly $1,000 per year to rent a space (not to mention high insurance costs). We have the transportation infrastructure here to make it viable to do without a car more often than not (unless you work somewhere off the grid). One of the key factors in my joining the group was the location: 1 block from a subway hub (15 min to downtown San Francisco or Oakland airport), walking distance from major retail and restaurants, 1 block from 16 bus lines (including a new airport express, 5 blocks from ferry to SF and Amtrak to Silicon Valley, Sacramento, and points North, South, and East; 5 blocks from Greyhound. As someone who lives car-free, works mostly at home and locally, and occasionally rents or borrows one for errands, I'll be leasing my unit's space to one of my neighbors. Towards that end, if anybody has economic models for setting prices or sample contracts for doing so, I'd appreciate pointers. I've also had discussions with at least one other neighbor about possibly sharing an electric car.... we've made sure that our parking lot has a 220-volt outlet in the right place to make it possible to put a fastcharger there. Raines Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com> Member, Old Oakland [CA] Cohousing at Swan's Market Where some of us are off to a Cabinet Meeting. ;-) and member, East Bay Cohousing [no site yet] Which had a deep discussion of diversity at its last meeting.
- Re: Cohousing and car sharing, (continued)
- Re: Cohousing and car sharing Michael McIntyre, September 21 1999
- Re: Cohousing and car sharing Fred H. Olson, September 21 1999
- RE: Cohousing and car sharing brian, September 21 1999
- Re: Cohousing and car sharing Unnat, September 21 1999
- Re: Cohousing and car sharing Raines Cohen, September 21 1999
- Re: Cohousing and car sharing Bitner/Stevenson, September 21 1999
- RE: Cohousing and car sharing Rob Sandelin, September 21 1999
- RE: Cohousing and car sharing Rob Sandelin, September 24 1999
- RE: Cohousing and car sharing Fred H. Olson, September 24 1999
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.