renting in cohousing
From: Denise Meier &/or Michael Jacob (dmmjncal.verio.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:25:29 -0600 (MDT)
I clearly remember one time, when we were in the depths of financing
difficulties, price increases, construction uncertainties, and feeling
exhausted by the process and worried that my family might lose our whole
investment (OK, it was ONLY money, but it was a LOT of money), some
interested person called me to ask if there were going to be any
rentals, and when I said no, not immediately, anyway, got really huffy
about home ownership and exclusiveness, etc, etc, etc. And I got huffy
back, and said i couldn't see why anyone would go through what my
husband and I were going through to get this damn thing built in order
to own investment property and rent it out to someone else, and that the
cost of building just our own units was so high that no one wanted to
speculate extra cash in order to jointly provide some rental units.

I wish it were otherwise, but with California land prices, and with the
model we used (self-developed), it would be difficult to find someone
willing to go through this in order to provide rental property for
someone else...(can you tell i'm still burnt out and angry at how hard
this turned out to be?)

Denise Meier
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, CAlifornia

PS By the way we are all in, finally, as of two weeks ago, and looking
forward to a whopping housewarming party this saturday. (9/25) Anyone in
the area is more than welcome to attend! 1-5 pm.
Email me for directions.