Values of Cohousers
From: Victoria (victoriatrillium-hollow.org)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:09:51 -0600 (MDT)
Dear All,

Rob said >Its not the goal of cohousing residents to share ownership of
their homes, cars or incomes. In fact, the non-sharing of those things is a
big atraction to cohousing residents, who tend to be very middle class in
their values.

Rob, I'm sure you are right given your vast experience with cohousers, that
most of us tend to be pretty middle class.  Don't forget not to judge a book
by it's cover however.  For example, I might seem middle class in the sense
you mean, since I value  independent ownership of my home and it's contents.
But scratch the surface and you will find a pretty radical person who values
the independence that home ownership brings because her trust in others is
limited by past experience.  I have vowed that once I left an abusive
marriage (and an abusive family before that) never again would I be in
someone else's power.  So cohousing is as far as I can go right now to meet
that goal while at the same time getting the community I crave.

Another point - when I was young I was part of an extremely radical
community where despite non-middle class values plenty of power was wielded
in unpleasant ways.  There are reasons that people have evolved values
towards indendence from communities and families besides being greedy and
competitive.  Reasons that include a cultural legacy of incredibly
oppressive experiences, particulary for women, children, and minorities,
that in my opinion were/are more the rule than the exception.  I am thankful
that I can move beyond that and am glad others can too.  I guess I just want
to put a word in for those of us who have figured out how to protect
ourselves while at the same time loving community life.

Vicky Leary
Trillium Hollow