Re: Email for Cohousing
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:42:30 -0600 (MDT)
RoseWind here, in Port Townsend WA. 16 of our 20 families have email. 14
of those with email live on site. And email still serves a VERY important
function among us.

All the positives mentioned on this thread so far apply. What can I add?

1) If a communication goes out over email, and applies to the whole
group, be sure to get paper copies, phone calls, or such to those who do
not have email.
(This is for things like announcements of meetings or discussions, call
for input on proposals, input on matters of common concern, minutes.)

2) Know your colleagues.
One of our members has explicitly told us that SHE wants face to face
discussion of any personal issue that involves her, and considers it
disrespectful to hear about it by email instead. Most of us, on the other
hand, welcome the opportunity to deal with "loaded" content via email, as
we can choose when to read it, have our immediate defensive reactions in
private, and take the time, or rewrites, needed to formulate a thoughtful
response.
If you don't know these things about each other, ask. It makes an
interesting sharing circle topic, for one thing, looking at related
issues like how much individuals do or don't welcome dropping in, phone
calls, written responses. You realize we are all different, shaped by our
families, other prior experiences, and temperaments.
--------
We have no lack of face to face interaction here. But none of us spends
days sitting around the house. We are out a lot. A tremendous amount of
communication happens by email which simply wouldn't happen at all, if
left to the times we are physically together.
And, frankly, I'd rather deal with issues as an on-line debate most of
the time, and leave community suppers, for example, free for
non-stressful conversation, building on our commonalities.

 ( I don't want to see "George" coming, and say to myself, "Oh, no, here
comes a contentious rant about the common house budget." But if I see an
email from George on the subject, I can deal with it more evenly.)

The value of email in the group is great, and is not worth abandoning for
the sake of a few sensitive areas. Best to find ways to avoid the
pitfalls, but keep that "baby" in the bathwater.