Re: Common Meal Accounting
From: Elana Kann (elanakannmindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 06:43:37 -0600 (MDT)
Marty,
At Westwood community in Asheville, NC we are using a meal-paying system I
learned from Jan Goodman-Hoyer when I was in Denmark. I think it is the
simplest possible way. We are divided into cook teams of approximately the
same size, and on the day that my team cooks the members of my team divide
the cost of producing that meal. Same with each of the other teams. No one
pays to eat in the common house. The payment comes when cooking. We don't
have to keep track of costs and do any complicated accounting or collecting
as a whole community. It's as if we took turns eating in each other's homes
as guests. The cook team members are the hosts for that meal. It's up to the
hosts how fancy or expensive a meal they put on. We assume that over time
the money comes out to roughly equal.
--Elana Kann