Re: CoHousing to Meet Needs of Disabled
From: kchung (kchungnomad.tor.lets.net)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:07:29 -0600 (MDT)
I have been catching up on old email and see back several months ago this
question came up.

I have recently returned from visiting the oldest ecovillage in Europe -
and the only one in Iceland - Solheimar.

Since 1930, they have (against tremendous odds) provided a home and
productive work for 100 people, many of whom are disabled.  The disabled
work along with the "abled" to the extent of their abilities.  It is truly
inspiring.  I urge anyone travelling to Europe to stop off in Iceland for
a visit.

One of the many Solheimar businesses is a guest house, which is where we
stayed - The most beautiful guest house in Iceland.

Their other businesses include candle making, weaving, organic
greenhouse farming (geothermally heated), a tree nursery (which produces
15,000 trees a year for treeless Iceland) and
a gift shop.  It is an oasis amid the chaos of earth-in-creation
(volcanoes, glaciers!).  And it is an inspiration to this world-weary old
social service worker.

Solheimar, 801 Selfoss, Iceland
www.solheimar.is

Kate Chung