Cohousing or No Housing
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:33:34 -0600 (MDT)
Below are a few excerpts from and article "Cohousing or No Housing"
_Conscious Choice, The Journal of Ecology & Natural Living_
The full article is currently available at:
http://www.consciouschoice.com/features/cohousing1204.html

   As of 1997, there were 52 cohousing communities in 18 states. Most of
   the time, cohousing implies a suburban or rural setting with plush
   surroundings, maybe a pond or stream, and abundant wildlife. However,
   some creative groups of people have brought it to cities. In urban
   settings, cohousing brings the possibility of home ownership to low
   income families, especially in areas that are being re-gentrified.
   Here in Chicago, three diverse groups represent the heart of the
   cohousing movement.
..
   The Acme Artists Co-op, founded by the Near Northwest Arts Council
   (NNWAC), is a group of artists who have come together to form a new
   arts community in the shadow of the old. They have purchased an unused
   warehouse just beyond the boundary of Wicker Park and have plans to
   renovate it into 21 residential units and four commercial spaces. In
   contrast to the gated communities being touted by real estate
   developers as luxury townhomes, the artists have embraced the ideology
   of cohousing.
..
   Woodlawn Development Associates (WDA), a nonprofit ....
   The Woodlawn cohousing project is currently looking for more
   households to join them. You must subscribe to their principles of
   diversity to be part of the group.
..
   This is Ujima Place, a cohousing development on Chicago's west side,
   where eight households have built a community based on the principle
   of ujima, which, in the Kwanzaa tradition translates as "coming
   together." Members of this development came together through the
   [Note Ujima Place was formerly known as Harambee Homes]

BTW below are two articles about Perry Bigelow, the "Energy Efficiency
Maestro" who developed Ujima Place. The first article goes into detail
about how Bigelow achieves energy efficiency AND affordability.
I think the article refers to Ujima Place but not by name (see "supporter
housing").

Neither mentions cohousing directly, apparently Bigelow primarily
develops "production housing" and some "custom housing" and these
articles are from the energy efficiency trade publications.

I wonder if he'd be inclined to do more cohousing ala Jim Leach
of Wonderland Developers  (I often express or hear the dream of cloning
Jim Leach to facilitate the development of cohousing :)  I wonder if they
know each other.

http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/94/940308.html
http://www.eren.doe.gov/buildings/partner_aehc.html

Fred