Re: ROMANTICIZING COHOUSING
From: DHCano (DHCanoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:23:47 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 10/22/99 10:44:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jrcooper [at] zoo.uvm.edu writes:

<< We all (I am stepping out on a limb here) feel a little cynical about the
 idealism of the '60s and "where has it got us." >>

It is fashionable now to denigrate those of us who struggled for our ideals
in the '60's and this is probably not surprising given the unfortunate
adulation that *others who were not there, or not active* spent in
romanticizing some of the more trivial and stylistic elements of our
struggles (safely afterwards, of course, when they could have the style
without the struggle).

But I wonder how many would really like to return to the pre-60's culture.
Not many African Americans, gays, draftees or women, I expect.  Certainly not
those who remember experiencing the effects of the lockstep racial and gender
sterotyping, and the dreadful laws, that we lived under.

Sometimes it appears that people these days imagine all those changes 'just
happened', or came about in spite of, rather than because of, the struggles
of those whose efforts are so easily dismissed in one-liners today.  I'm sure
not all those who dismiss them are white heterosexual males, either!

Diane Cano
Ganas