Re: ROMANTICIZING COHOUSING
From: paul kilduff (paul_kilduffhotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:43:09 -0600 (MDT)

>On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:20:01 -0500 Deb Smyre wrote:

>       I would
>       also offer that if arguments in favor of polyamory seem to be
>       falling flat in a cohousing forum, we can only imagine how much
>       worse the opinions of the general public might be.

I must say that I don't think the arguments have been falling flat at all.
I've learned a tremendous amount about something I didn't know existed, and
I think it sounds like a great idea!  Not that I'm getting any ideas: old
dog -- new trick.

>       To say that polyamory
>       is innate or instinctive is a weak argument, since resisting
>       our instinctive urges (to murder, for example) is what
>       supposedly separates us from lower animals.

I don't see, however, that that is what makes us human.  It seems to me a
tricky business to determine which of our genetically-bulit-in behaviors we
should demonize (murder is a good example) and which we should tolerate as
"the way a person is."

>       No one has to agree with our lifestyle choices.
>       If we believe in our love strongly enough, we'll endure
>       whatever life dumps on us and persevere.  If the approval
>       of others is important to our happiness, then we should
>       choose accordingly and not whine.  >
>       Deb <interracially married...not a whiner> Smyre

Good for you, and I guess that's fair, except you didn't "disapprove" of
them; I think you told them they couldn't live in your community.

best,
Paul Kilduff
Baltimore  MD  USA