Re: Beyond Polyamory: Other Sex and Relationship Issues
From: Deb Smyre (dsmyreprimenet.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:43:20 -0600 (MDT)
At 12:21 AM 10/25/1999 -0500, Eris Weaver wrote:

>Thanks!  After I fired this off I worried that I had worded in incorrectly
>in an accusatory or judgemental way, and from your response it seems that I
>did not.

        Frankly, it was accusatory and downright rude.  Writing
        in CAPS WITH MULTIPLE EXCLAMATION POINTS!! always
        strikes me as hostile.  But, I try to make my points in as straight-
        forward a manner as possible, despite other's apparent lack
        of netiquette.

>Deb wrote:
>> I think we might assume that if enough people aren't
>> comfortable with polyamory as a lifestyle, then this
>> fact alone could upset the balance of community.
>
>Again , this sounds too much to me like the arguments I hear against
>homosexuality, particularly the whole marriage question; "A lot of us are
>uncomfortable with it, so you don't get to do it."

        Unless we're playing charades, I don't see how it's helpful
        to say the discussion "sounds like" something else.  It's
        not something else.  It is what it is.  It would be nice to stick to
        the topic without having one's opinions compared to someone's
        fundamentalist Christian relatives or to a homophobe.  Frankly,
        it weakens any pro-polyamory argument to always cry "foul"
        or "discrimination" when someone simply disagrees with it.
        Name-calling, no matter how indirect, shuts down discussions.

        Deb