Re: First right of refusal
From: Jed Stuart (jstuartnor.com.au)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:25:52 -0700 (MST)
Kevin, some time ago you wrote:-

> Rob
> I believe a cohousing community (or any entity) can get a first right a
> refusal and the opportunity to assign that first right to another party.
> With this the community can create a waiting list of qualified individuals
> who have the money and could qualify for the loan.
>
> Kevin

We have been discussing the issue of self selection v's the right to select
or refuse membership. A solicitor who we are talking to, and who is writing
a book on legal issues for communities, is a little unsure about this one.

It is a question that many people ask. `How do you keep out someone who
doesn't fit?' It is often said around here that every community has its
madperson (actually they usually say madman, unfairly I think). This
madperson is often regarded as the reason for everything that goes wrong in
the community, and even for its demise. Many of the people who are
discussing joining us are in fear of getting involved with one of these.

Is there any experience of this 'first right of refusal' in practice. Most
Cohousing Communities seem to practice self selection. We are a little
confused if you can help. Also, how does this relate to the discussion on
anti-discrimination.

Jed Stuart
Mullumbimby Cohousing Group
NSW, Australia