Re: design review
From: Unnat (Zeniinet.net.au)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:31:44 -0700 (MST)
We had a decent architect with a personal commitment to designing for
and with community.  Despite his very best intentions and experience, he
didn't get it right all of the time.  What's right?  Guides and measures
as provided by the client.  Our architect provided a wealth of knowledge
and expertise however the design was my vision.  My advice is, assume
nothing!  If you don't have a tape measure, get one and let it be your
companion for the next couple of years - measure EVERYTHING.  Get a
notebook and note all your ideas and priorities - this is especially
important when you come to checking and signing off on the final plans.
I still kick myself for not noticing that my kitchen window which was to
have low sills so I could see my pond was drawn up with the HIGHEST
sills in the project!  Remember the person who draws up the plans is not
usually the architect.  Get chalk for drawing out the spaces on vacant
carparks where you can drive your car into your 'garage'.  Use your
imagination to walk through and live in your virtual house.  Move
furniture around in your current home to approximate your new space.
Find rooms and buildings with similar dimensions, layouts and
orientation.  Make a scale model - I made one that was scaled 1:20, it
took ages, was frustrating and fun.  Unnat and I would take it outside,
orient it appropriately to the sun and explore it.  Apart from a couple
of glitches, mostly minor, my home is exactly as I imagined it would be.

Warmest regards
Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community
Fremantle, Western Australia