Re: Laundry in common house
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:13:37 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 12/20/99 9:25:03 PM, sundog [at] gburgtimes.com writes:

<< Hello all you communards (ugh! - referring to Time article),
We here at Hundredfold were wondering if anyone out there has any opinions
on the advantages and disadvantages of having a laundry center in the common
house.

Marya Tipton
Hundredfold Farm >>

Hi Marya-
    We don't have any direct experience (still under construction), but both
of our architects live at Pioneer.  One of them said that the washing
machines and dryers are great socializers, and some people use them for this
reason even though they have machines at home.  They also get used when the
ones at home are broken.  Another advantage is that dining room, kitchen and
guest room linens don't have to be dragged to someone's house.  We're putting
a laundry room in the basement, near the areas that will eventually be for
crafts and exercise.  Some folks won't have laundry machines at home and will
obviously be using them.
    Not too many downsides that I've heard of.  Maybe financial (coin-op or
honor system?) and maintenance, but I sure those get worked out.  I'd also be
curious to know of any other ad- or disadvantages.

    -Roger